Monday, February 4, 2008
Sleeker Sisters - FREE YOGA WEEK February 4th - 10th
The Chicago Park District invites Chicagoans to discover the benefits of a centuries-old practice during Free Yoga Week, Monday - Sunday, Feb. 4-10 at 18 neighborhood parks throughout the city. The initiative is part of the Park District’s effort to encourage residents to incorporate exercise and other healthy activities into their lifestyles.
The term “yoga” is derived from the Sanskrit word meaning “to unite.” The system of exercises focuses on uniting or harmonizing the mind, body and spirit. Practicing yoga regularly promotes energy enhancement, increased flexibility and muscular toning.
The Chicago Park District currently has yoga classes at various locations plus fitness selections such as circuit training, conditioning, kickboxing, Pilates, yoga and aerobics. Additionally, the Park District offers an affordable alternative to commercial gyms with its 55 citywide fitness centers featuring state-of-the-art equipment.
The Chicago Park District encourages residents to enjoy free yoga classes at the following locations during free yoga week. Please contact the individual sites for the schedule.
1. Berger Park Cultural Center, 6205 N. Sheridan Rd., 773-761-0376
2. Clarendon Park Community Center, 4501 N. Clarendon Ave., 312-742-7512
3. Commercial Park, 1845 W. Rice St., 312-742-7558
4. Daley Bicentennial Plaza, 337 E. Randolph St., 312-742-7648
5. Fosco Park, 1312 S. Racine Ave., 312-746-5086
6. Gill Park, 825 W. Sheridan Rd., 312-742-7802
7. Hamlin Park, 3035 N. Hoyne Ave., 312-742-7785
8. Harrison Park, 1824 W. Wood St., 312-746-5491
9. Hiawatha Park, 8029 W. Forest Preserve Dr., 312-746-5559
10. Independence Park, 3945 N. Springfield Ave., 773-478-3538
11. Jefferson (Thomas) Memorial Park, 4822 N. Long Ave., 773-685-3316
12. Loyola Park, 1230 W. Greenleaf Ave., 773-262-8605
13. McGuane Park, 2901 S. Popular Ave., 312-747-6497
14. Seward Park, 375 W. Elm St., 312-742-7895
15.South Shore Cultural Center, 7059 S. Shore Dr., 773-256-0149
16. Tuley Park, 501 E. 90th Pl., 312-747-6763
17. Wilson (Frank J.) Park, 4630 N. Milwaukee Ave., 773-685-6454
18. North Park Village Nature Center, 5801 N. Pulaski Rd., 312-744-5472
For more information on Free Yoga Week and other fitness opportunities, call 312-742-PLAY or visit www.chicagoparkdistrict.com.